Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Apartment Advice


I got a notice yesterday that my lease is almost up. Got really stressed out. And now it's decision time.
 
To renew or not to renew, that is the question.

Who knew this would even be a debate a year ago when I was living it up in the sorority house with 45(!!!) roommates!? I *gasp* am actually enjoying the independence of living on my own. My how times have changed...

 
I thought it best to make a list of pros and cons, and possibly get some advice from others.

To stay:
  • Ok, to start, there is the obvious little fact that I am a complete neat freak. Slightly obsessive compulsive. Possibly a little difficult to live with. No big deal.
  • I thoroughly enjoy lounging around in the comfort of my own apartment in my "nightie" without fear of offending any roommates.
  • I have settled into a good routine ~ this is the only time in my life where it's all about ME, right?
  • I LOVE the location of my place ~ close to the grocery, target, restaurants, shopping, surrounded by "youngins" {who I wish wanted to talk to me a bit more}, in a safe neighborhood {I may or may not be a total wimp}, less than a 10 minute drive to work...thank you again to my BFF's family for helping me find this little gem :)
  • The thought of moving all of my belongings {couch, bed, washer/dryer, etc} gives me a major panic attack sounds inconvenient.
  • Living in an apartment complex offers many perks...think free maintenance, pool in the summertime, parking garage, etc, etc
To move:
  • It is lonely coming home to an empty place on Friday nights...and waking up alone on the weekends...a roommate may be nice...{but I'm not completely sold on this yet...}.
  • I could save money at another location.
  • I would probably eat healthier if I lived with someone and we could cook good meals together...cooking for one is HARD! Not to mention I can't get motivation beyond throwing together a salad or heating a baked potato.
  • I wish I had a patio to enjoy nice spring/summer weather. And a little more space would be nice.
I can't decide! Any thoughts or words of wisdom!?



P.S. Congrats to KB on passing her second CPA exam!! You're halfway there! :)

5 comments:

Kari Mac said...

have you outlined out your financial goals? do you know how much you need to be saving? bahahah :) i'm leaning more toward the "living independently" side of things... i feel like it'd be hard to give that up after having it!

MIML said...

BAHAHAHAHA thank goodness you're always out to remind how to be thrifty. thank goodness no weddings in the near future...although i should be gearing up for a bomb diggity vacation. i'm leaning towards the independent side too...but my opinion changes daily.

Anthony Jones said...

about whether or not to get a roommate, most people that i have talked to have said that it is really hard to go back to having a roommate after going awhile living by yourself. might be harder than you think readjusting to living with somebody.

you are in a great location. i say stay put simply because the benefits that could be gained from moving, in my mind, do not outweigh the inconvenience, hassle, and stress that come with moving.

just my initial reaction to the situation, but if you decide to move, call us and we will help and i'll get some other dudes too if you want.

Krista said...

Okay, let's try commenting again.

I said, maybe we could be neighbors, then you only get the benefits of a roommate when you want them, not the hassle :) although, I'm totally never a hassle...

And, Thanks for the shout out! I'm halfway done, but it seems to be taking a lifetime!

Jesse said...

Well if you have someone to live with it might not be a bad idea because I know that moving to the new city has been a big adjustment and it could help living with someone and always having someone to turn too. It would also save money like you mentioned. However if you don't have someone and you are looking to find a roomie, I'd give up and renew. In addition, I would try to find a two bedroom at your apartment complex because it's a very desirable location, safe, affordable, and luxurious.