Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Amazing Race


"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time" --Winston Churchill
I have a problem with thinking too much about the future. I am a planner, and sometimes that gets out of control. Lately, I have been stressing myself out about my future way too much. Instead, I've decided I need to simply start doing things today that will set me up for happiness and success down the road. Just take life one day at a time, and let life run its course.

I am anxious to meet more people in the area (a guy would be nice as well...), and I've decided that since I met tons of friends through social groups in college, I should try that in the new city as well. There are tons of "young professional" organizations here that look like fun.

Today, a team of four of us (basically all the people I already know in the new city) got together for a scavenger hunt through downtown. A big charity organization in town hosted a social scavenger hunt (similar to the Amazing Race but on a much smaller scale...alrthough it did seem like we were running/walking forever) and a happy hour afterwards (even though it was only 2 o'clock in the afternoon). There were 5 detour locations at bars that were discovered by figuring out clues and 5 destinations where you had to answer trivia about the city's history. Although this event was more social based, this organization does about 30 community service events throughout the year as well. I'm excited to get more involved in the group because everyone was very nice! Being that all of our team members were new to the city, we did not even come close to winning overall, but we did win in our minds because we gained a greater feel of the city and met some wonderful new people!

0 comments: