Thursday, August 20, 2009

Friendly...or creepy?!


So here's a taste of what is going on in my daily life lately:

Since I'm working downtown, I park in a garage about a 10 minute walk from the office. Conveniently, the garage offers a complimentary shuttle service that leaves every 15 minutes. On days that the humidity is above 80% or rain is in the forecast, you better believe I'm taking the shuttle. I didn't spend an hour getting ready for nothing.

However, I may need to change my routine. The shuttle driver may have recently crossed the line from friendly to completely inappropriate.

I have gathered from several uncomfortable conversations we've engaged in that the bus driver is in his 30s and single. He knows everyone...by this I mean he honks and waves at about half of the people walking downtown as he is driving the daily route (he does not discriminate as he waves to an equal amount of homeless people as well). Upon first meeting, he would giggle and tell me he thought I was "so cute." I quickly developed the nickname "cuteness," which is distinctly different than everyone else on the shuttle who he simply calls "buddy." At first, I just smiled uncomfortably because I had nothing to say.

Then last week, I was the last person on the shuttle because my stop is very last. He told me he'd been thinking and "they should reinvent the dictionary to put a picture of me under the definition of cute." Again, I smiled uncomfortably and exited the shuttle.

The next day he said "I really like the dress you wore yesterday. You're just so cute." I tried to smile.

All of these encounters were uncomfortable, but yesterday was the worst. The driver pulled over the shuttle to the side of the road and put on his flashers so that he could tell me a 6 minute story (I timed it) until I told him I had to get going because I'd be late for work.

I don't want to make a scene because I don't want to bring more attention to myself among all the men in the garage, but if this continues I may have to give up the convenience of the shuttle and settle for a parking lot that I will walk to and from in the rain. Until then, I will be sitting at the very back of the shuttle distracted by doing "important" things on my cell phone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom votes "Creepy" and thank you for giving me one more thing to worry about.

Anonymous said...

Whoa....back the train up (or in this case the shuttle)! I vote WAY creepy, too! AL